E-mail MeRyan M. Kunhart
Ryan M. Kunhart is a partner with the firm and a member of the litigation department. He focuses his practice on employment law, civil litigation and creditor's rights.
In his employment practice, Mr. Kunhart advises clients on the development, implementation and monitoring of employment programs and policies. He assists business clients in complying with applicable federal, state and local employment laws, including sexual harassment guidelines, employee drug and alcohol testing, Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Family Medical Leave Act.
Mr. Kunhart advises clients on day-to-day employment matters, including hiring, discipline, discharge, discrimination, employee vs. independent contractor classification matters, non-compete agreements, and compensation. He drafts employment handbooks, employee policies and procedures, employment applications, and other employment-related forms. Mr. Kunhart also defends corporate clients against discrimination and wrongful discharge matters before federal and state administrative courts and agencies.
Mr. Kunhart's litigation practice focuses on civil litigation, including the representation of the firm's insurance clients. He is experienced representing municipalities and the local transit authority in insurance defense litigation issues concerning political subdivisions, alleged civil rights violations, personal injury claims, and other matters common to municipalities.
Mr. Kunhart graduated with his Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, from Creighton University in 2007. He was a Deans Scholar and a member of the Phi Alpha Theta National History Honor Society. Mr. Kunhart graduated with his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the Creighton University School of Law in 2011. He received a certificate in litigation while at Creighton and was the recipient of the CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Trial Practice.
Mr. Kunhart is a member of the Nebraska Bar Association and the Defense Research Institute. He also volunteers for Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midland's Service League.
- Cooper v. Penske Truck Leasing, Co., Ltd. Partnership, 2015 WL 6870007 (D. Neb. 2015). Obtained complete dismissal on summary judgment of Title VII and Nebraska Fair Employment Practice Act race discrimination claims.
- Sanchez v. Bremer, 894 F. Supp. 2d 1190 (D. Neb. 2012). Obtained complete dismissal on summary judgment of Fourth Amendment unlawful seizure and excessive force claim against a municipality.
- Obtained a judgment following trial on behalf of a property management company in a dispute against a contractor concerning breach of contract and construction defect claims.
- Successfully defended multiple charges of discrimination before state and federal agencies resulting in No Reasonable Cause determinations.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Civil Litigation
- Bankruptcy Law - Creditors' Rights
- Insurance Defense
- Nebraska, 2011
- U.S. District Court District of Nebraska, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2015
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, Nebraska
- J.D. cum laude - 2011
- Honors: Certificate in Litigation
- Honors: CALI Excellence for the Future Award Trial Practice
- Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska
- B.A. magna cum laude - 2007
- Honors: Deans Scholar
- Honors: Member of Phi Alpha Theta National History Honor Society
- Major: Journalism
- Major: History
- The Importance of Working with Employees to Determine Reasonable Accommodations , DRI The Voice of the Defense Bar - Governmental Liability, Vol 20 Issue 2, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Omaha Bar Association, Member, 2011 - Present
- Nebraska Bar Association, Member, 2011 - Present
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midland's Service League, President (2015-2016), President-Elect (2014-2015)
- Defense Research Institute, Member, Governmental and Municipal Liability Committee, Annual Meeting Marketing Chair (2016), Membership Subcommittee (2014 - Present)
- Defense Research Institute, Member, Employment Law Committee