E-mail MeJames A. Tews
James A. Tews is a partner with the firm and a member of the business and estate planning departments. He joined the firm in 2003 and focuses his practice on estate planning and trusts, probate, guardian and conservatorships, Medicaid planning, real estate matters, corporate and business law.
Mr. Tews has also developed a special emphasis on estate planning for families who are parenting or caring for a child with physical or cognitive challenges. He is experienced in establishing Special Needs Trusts and Supplemental Special Needs Trust which provide the ability to use trust assets to give individuals with special needs "non-necessity" items that would not be available through government benefits.
Mr. Tews received his Bachelor of Arts degree, summa cum laude, in Business Administration, Environmental Science and Biology from Mount Marty College in 1999. He received his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from Creighton University's School of Law in 2003.
While in law school, Mr. Tews competed in the Domestic Moot Court Competition, served as a Chairman for Creighton's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, served as a Tournament Director on the International Moot Court Board and participated in the Robert M. Spire American Inns of Court. Mr. Tews also was inducted into the Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honor Society.
Mr. Tews currently serves on St. John's Church of Valley's Long Range Planning Committee, serves on the Board of Easter Seals of Nebraska, is involved with the Knights of Columbas and authors articles for local publications. He is also a member of the Nebraska State Bar Association.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Business Law
- Real Estate Law
- Medicaid Planning
- Trust and Probate Administration
- Nebraska, 2003
- U.S. District Court District of Nebraska, 2003
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, Nebraska
- Juris Doctor magna cum laude - 2003
- Honors: Tournament Director, Creighton U International Moot Court Board, 2002-2003
- Honors: Domestic Moot Court Competition
- Honors: Chairman, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
- Honors: Robert M. Spire American Inns of Court
- Mount Marty College, Yankton, South Dakota
- Bachelor of Artssumma cum laude - 1999
- Major: Business Administration
- Major: Environmental Science
- Major: Biology
- Minor: Chemistry
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, CALI Excellence Award in Contracts
- Recipient, CALI Excellence Award in Legal Research
- Alpha Sigma Nu
Past Employment Positions
- First National Bank of Omaha, Personal Banker
- Alpha Sigma Nu
- Phi Delta Phi